Dell Poweredge 1950 sata drive linux bytecoin miner

Anything goes.
AdmiralAcid

Dell Poweredge 1950 sata drive linux bytecoin miner

Post by AdmiralAcid »

I know it says bytecoin miner, but i suppose it could say 2003 server with worldgroup.

Modded my dell poweredge 1950 to run a sata drive. I pull power from the internal USB connector. I remove the raid controler and power to the sas drive backplane. I installed xubuntu linux and setup mainergate console software to mine for bytecoins. I have a hashrate of 137/h

https://youtu.be/2eOTG2OUMH8

AdmiralAcid

Re: Dell Poweredge 1950 sata drive linux bytecoin miner

Post by AdmiralAcid »

I also removed the DRAC5 remote access card. Its located in the far right side.
DRAC5.jpg
The raid cards latch required a tool to pry it up. At the top of the photo you can part of the backplane where the sas drives connect. That backplane came out easy after a little fuss with that bundle of power connectors.
raid.jpg
Making the USB to sata power adapter was easy enough.
ewwyPowerMod.jpg
Here is a cover that goes over the N. and S. bridges. I couldnt fit my little ssd drive in that area by the USB, so I hard to route it all back over to the front.
bOverB.jpg
I went around the 2nd processor and through the same access hole the original power to the backplane ran. The drive sits well enough in the raid cards area. Under the ssd drive sits two ribbons. One is for the CDrom and the other for the power/front panel display.
routing.jpg

I've seen some posts about mods to quiet the noise level. They were about adding resistance to the fans power, and maybe a small software hack to deal with that too. My dell poweredge 1950 is loud when it first powers on, but with this mods it gets really quiet after a soft boot. Very nice! My room does not heat up either. So my dell server is running quieter and cooler.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

Why would you remove the drac card? They is very handy when you don't want to connect a monitor to your machine.

AdmiralAcid

Post by AdmiralAcid »

BearFather wrote:Why would you remove the drac card? They is very handy when you don't want to connect a monitor to your machine.

I really didnt even know what it was. Making todays post I had to search the S/N to find out what to call it.

I was using dell poweredge as a crypto currency miner and wanted to pull unnecessary H/W (I also made a bunch of bios changes w/ pics i'll post later). I wanted it to draw less power... I was thinking of tracking down a kill-a-watt meter.

I just googled the drac again and saw the phrase "realtime power consumption"... WOW, this is exactly want to do.

If this can be done, can you tell me what to / how to? I'll put it all back together, put it under max mining load, and compare results.

BearFather

Post by BearFather »

A drac allows remote access to the machine to configure hardware and turn the machine on and off. Think of it as a super bios with a power button to the hardware. They usually have there own IP that you use to connect to the drac with a user name and password via a webpage. Most require java to do the remote console, remote console is like you have a monitor, kb and mouse connected to it but over the network.